Sunday, September 22, 2013

Ordinary Ordeals of London Life

I realize I've been primarily posting about trips and excursions, and I haven't been telling you all about the crazy things that locals wouldn't even think to mention.

Riding the Tube
There are a few reasons why the Underground is the best way to go.  First, you would be crazy to drive in London because there is MAD TRAFFIC.  I fear for my life even as a pedestrian.  In fact, I would equate the inner and outer city streets as twisty and slightly more coherent as those in Boston.  (For those of you who have ever driven in Boston, you know what I mean.  For those who have not: don't!)  In short, you cannot get anywhere faster than on the Tube.  Second, it is a web of lines that actually get you wherever you need to go, unlike the Boston T or Philly Septa systems, where you might have to walk quite a bit after departing the subway or train.  BUT, and this is huge, for the love of everything holy .... prepare yourself for RUSH HOUR London Underground Style!  Some of you may recall a story I like to tell around parties and dinner tables about my sardine experience on a Septa train on the Wednesday afternoon before Thanksgiving ... if you have not heard this tale, just use your imagination. I mention this because I've dubbed rush hour on the Tube the "Vacuum-Sealed Sardine Travel Hours."  And the two things I have to say about that are (1) make sure you've re-applied your deodorant before entering the carriage, and (2) exiting the carriage at your stop is like being born.
This happens every day.
But, it is still better than taking the bus - even though the bus is cheaper.  I take the those awesome red buses on off peak hours.  They are super convenient because they go everywhere!

Micro-Transportation
When I say "micro," I am referring to children, but this really applies to fully grown adults, as well.  A common mode of swift transportation on the sidewalks, other than running, is the razor scooter.  For the kids, their scooters have two wheels in the front and one in the back, so they don't accidentally face-plant on the walk.  In fact, one of my favorite spectator sports here in London is watching parents tear after their child, desperately trying to catch up before the end of the block.

Shopping Surprises
I'm sorry to say that grocery shopping here is probably just as mellow as it is in the US.  I have not come across any suspicious or unidentifiable foods yet, so that's a relief!  Today, however, when I opened a carton of eggs to check for cracks, there was a white and brown chicken feather wedged in there with them!  I chuckled to myself, thinking that people in the US would freak out about this, but Europeans would definitely consider this run-of-the-mill ... so, I played it cool.

To put it simply, the hardest part of blending in is not being shocked or put-off by things that would shock an outsider: forfeiting your right to personal space on the Tube during Vacuum-Sealed Sardine Travel Hours or finding feathers from the animal that laid that egg for you!  You try squeezing one out!

That's all for now.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment