Saturday, September 14, 2013

An English Yom Kippur

It's tough to spend any of the Jewish holidays in an unfamiliar place (or any place other than home).  Fortunately for me, there is a nice handful of Jewish students with me here from the States.

This Yom Kippur I davened at the Western Marble Arch Synagogue (modern orthodox) with my friend Lauren - it was a WONDERFUL experience.  First of all, the rabbi of the shul is Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks, the immediate past Chief Rabbi of United Synagogue, the largest synagogue organization in the UK.  Lord or not, Rabbi Sacks gave some really intelligent and thought-provoking talks throughout the day, even one that mentioned things like Jane Austen, the mashiach, neuroscience, and even some quips about the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia.*

The service at Marble Arch was VERY nice.  At first I was wary of the all-male choir, but not only were they harmoniously sound, their arrangements were beautiful.  They enhanced the experience of Yom Kippur.  Nevertheless, I missed the BU Hillel High Holiday atmosphere.**  We also met some pretty nice people in the congregation - one woman even insisted on having us over for a Shabbat meal every once in a while.  Yes, please!

After the shofar was sounded (marking the end of the YK fast), there was a delicious spread of break fast foods: mini bagels with various spreads (they don't have REAL bagels in this country), fried eggplant, egg sandwiches, falafel balls, small cakes, fruit, coffee/tea, etc.  Lauren and I gladly walked back to campus after so much food, only to stop in a creperie for dessert!

I have plenty to post about from this past week, so look out for more!

Shana Tova!


* Want to know how all these things are connected? Email/Facebook me - I'd love to have a chat!
** Though, I cannot say I miss being the one running around, making sure everything runs smoothly.  It's nice to let someone else do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment