Saturday, September 21, 2013

Lovely Liverpool: Part 1

I did so many things this week that by the time my Liverpool trip rolled around, I wasn't quite sure what day it was.  Earlier in the week I visited the Victoria and Albert Museum here in South Kensington, which houses a collection of artifacts from all over the world - acquired while Britain was still an imperial power, with its fingers in everything.  I also returned to the Museum of London, where I got to see, among other things, the Olympic torch used during the 2012 Games.

Side of the Liverpool Cathedral
What can you tell me about Liverpool that does not have anything to do with the Beatles?  Yeah, I couldn't, either, before my trip.  But let me tell you, it has a remarkable history!  A few centuries ago, Liverpool was a major player in the selling and shipping of slaves.  Because it is a port city, Liverpool has a crazy diverse population, most of which are either coming or going.  It reminds me of Camus' description of Amsterdam in his work The Fall.  Every museum I visited had brochures in at least 10 different languages.  In fact, I found a brochure in Hebrew at the Anglican Cathedral, of all places!  A few things about that cathedral: built in 1978, it is one of the top five largest in Europe, and it's architect, Giles Gilbert Scott, was also the man who designed the iconic Red Telephone booth!  It is a truly impressive sight, especially since it sits on the top of the hill where it can be seen from most places in Liverpool.

Front of Liverpool Cathedral
Interior of the front stained glass windows
A "small" chapel in a wing of the Cathedral

These pictures really cannot do the architecture of the Cathedral justice, but hopefully they give you an idea.

As beautiful as the Anglican Cathedral was, there is a much smaller church in Liverpool that stands for more than just religion.  St. Luke's is opened once a week for tours and periodically houses small concerts or memorial services, weather permitting.  Why weather permitting?  During the Blitz of 1941, St. Luke's was almost completely destroyed.  All that is left of the church are the walls and the bell tower.  There is no roof, and not a shard of glass left in any of the windows.  It is hauntingly beautiful and a sad testimony to all the people who fought and died bravely during the First World War.  It was also a reminder to me that I am in a country that was physically involved in the World Wars.  Even St. Paul's Cathedral in London has bullet holes in its stone walls!

There are so many things to say about Liverpool, so look out for more posts over the next few days.  It'll be like a mini-series.


St. Luke's Church
St. Luke's Church

No comments:

Post a Comment