Monday, September 9, 2013

The Plot Thickens with High Holiday Adventures

Hello again!

A paper cut I did just before leaving for London
I hope everyone is making it through the High Holidays in one piece and not exploding from all the delicious food!  For erev Rosh Hashanna, I went to Edgware with my friend Lauren to her cousin's house.  Not only was the house packed with English and South African accents, but we were fed a complete 4-course meal: fish course (salmon, herring, white fish, flounder), matzo ball soup, meat course (chicken and brisket), and dessert (homemade fruit custard/sorbet).  Oh man, it was delicious!  The second night I was invited to the home of the rabbi from the New North London Shul in Finchley.  Again, his place was PACKED with people of all ages.  The food was very tasty, too - there were fresh figs from their backyard on the tables!  Try recovering from all of that ....

This is the really exciting part of my post .... I hope you're sitting down .... because the plot thickens here:
I visited 221b Baker Street!  That's right, the location of the SHERLOCK HOLMES MUSEUM.  I know, I know: we should all be so lucky!
street view of 221b Baker Street
Even though 221b was not a real place when Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote the Sherlock Holmes stories (Baker St. only went up to 100 at that time), the apartment located at 221b today is expertly modeled after the stories' descriptions.  And let me tell you, it looks pretty authentic inside; Sherlock and Dr. Watson could have lived there!  The man you see standing at the door is Inspector Lestrade, dressed in authentic police garb.

221b is located about 2 miles north of where I am living in South Kensington and Hyde Park (more posts later about the things I encountered in Hyde Park).
Fireplace in the study
(notice Sherlock's violin on the right!)






Thanks for reading!  More to come.

Shana Tova!

No comments:

Post a Comment