Saturday, October 12, 2013

Wonderful Windsor Castle

This Windsor Castle post is brought to you by Adena's Fall Break Free Time.

A Victorian Welcome to Windsor

On Wednesday I hopped on a train and eventually found myself in the town of Windsor.  I say eventually not because Windsor is a long way away (in fact, it's just west of London), but because as good as the trains are here, it is easy to not know where you are.  For example, I was issued one ticket that said London Paddington to Windsor & Eton Central.  I assumed that I got on at one stop and off at the other.  Nope!  There was no indication that I had to switch trains.  Fortunately, I figured this out before the train terminated in Oxford. (not a big deal: I backtracked one stop, losing maybe 20 minutes)

I knew I was in the right place when the second train rounded a corner and a HUGE, majestic castle appeared in the distance, sitting impressively atop a steep hill.  The whole of Windsor is a very charming place, and quite clean (as are most places I've been in and around London)!

Round Tower Keep
The Quadrangle
What Windsor wisdom can I impart here?  Well, Windsor Castle was built by William the Conqueror (aka Billy the First, first monarch of England) in the 11th Century, and has been a royal residence for over 600 years.  In fact, it is the preferred weekend getaway for the current monarch, Elizabeth II.  The cool thing about Windsor Castle is that it's constantly changing: since its construction, additions have been made here and there.  Ten meters were added to the iconic round tower Keep (a keep is a castle's last stronghold defensive), for example, in the Tudor age to make Windsor look more imposing and castle-like.  Of course, restorations there happen every so often - you would need a face lift, too, if you sat around for centuries - but the newest building happened after a fire in 1992 (a very good year, if I do say so!) destroyed almost an entire wing of the castle.  Some of the rooms in that section were rebuilt in the same way they were originally built, using the same materials, so the wood and paint in there now age in the same way.  Other rooms were changed slightly.  But, every peripheral room in Windsor has large windows that showcase the spectacular views of Windsor, its fields, and even the Thames.  Its spot on the top of the hill provides perfect panoramas and protection (that was one of my better alliterations!).

Windsor Castle is the largest royal residence in England, but that is partially because more than the castle resides inside the walls of Windsor.  The other notable site is St George's Chapel and the Albert Memorial Chapel.  St George is the patron saint of England and his sign is a red cross on a white background (think Crusader uniforms or the middle of the Union Jack flag).  This chapel is important because it is where the order of knights gather, and also where knightings take place.  St George's is much smaller than St Paul's, but is beautifully designed.  The important people buried in the Chapel include Charles I, Henry VIII (with Jane Seymour), George V (Elizabeth II's paternal grandfather), and many more.  The Albert Memorial Chapel, adjoined to St George's Chapel, houses the remains of Victoria and Albert's 8th child, Leopold, and their eldest son's (Edward VII) son, Albert Victor.

St George's Chapel
While Windsor is a residence, it is not as lavish or home-y like Buckingham.  Though I should mention the amazing frescoes and friezes found in the "living" areas: staterooms, the dining room, and the Queen's ball room.  But, Windsor Castle primarily feels exactly how you'd expect a castle to feel: a bit drafty (or draughty, as the Brits say), with many mighty military displays.  I think I lost count of the suits of armour and all the swords, bayonets, pistols, and coats of arms on the walls.  My favorite showcased item, however, was the tiny tiny lead musket ball that killed Horatio Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar (see my Trampling Through Trafalgar post).


After 2 or 3 hours of touring the buildings and grounds inside the Windsor Castle walls,  I stopped to share a latte with my Fall Break companion, Oscar Wilde!
Coffee with Wilde and Dorian Gray



Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment