Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Silly Snuffly Sorrows

Normally I would be sleeping at this hour (or close to it) on a school night, but I can't seem to fall asleep.  Lately I feel like I'm living in a sick house - every 30 seconds or so a cough echoes from a different part of the building.  But, alas, I am now one of those sniffly, dry-coughers .... excellent.

So, I figured if I can't sleep, I might as well entertain you all with the random things I have encountered lately.

I don't know if you are aware, but the reason why Disney Parks are so clean is because there is a trashcan (or a rubbish bin (bin, for short) if you're from this side of the Atlantic puddle) every 27 or so steps.  Why such a seemingly arbitrary number?  Well, apparently studies have shown that by the time the average person has taken 27 steps while holding garbage, he or she will just let it fall to the ground if there is no rubbish pale around.  Consequently, it is common to find trash disposal receptacles spread throughout public areas, though most places in the States (or "the Colonies," as they call them here) are not as clean as Disney Parks.

I mention this because here you would be hard-pressed to find rubbish bins in public places other than cafes or public bathrooms, but even public loos favor the blow-drier method over our wasteful paper towels.  This is particularly frustrating when you've finished your coffee and have nowhere to dispose of it (this happened to me in a train station once, and it did not end well).  The reason why this is the case here is apparently because terrorists used to stick bombs in public rubbish bins.  I get it, but it doesn't mean I can't complain about it!

Remember how I told you about those crazy razor scooters that every loves to ride here?  Well, yesterday I witnessed about 50 people going down the street on ROLLER SKATES!  They weren't even roller blades, like what the cool kids wear.  No: good, old-fashioned, I'm lovin' the '80s ROLLER SKATES.  Not on the sidewalk .... oh, no .... in the street, where cars drive.  This happened when I was sitting in a cafe, working on a paper.  And here's the best part: no one besides me seemed to notice!  It was bizarre and I don't know what else to say about that, so .... moving on.

Here is something that'll either make you laugh or cry ... or both: This past Monday - yesterday - I had a double class scheduled, which meant I had class at its regular time at 1pm, but also a class at 9am.  For whatever reason, my 7:30 alarm did not activate its second snooze, which meant that the next time I woke up was 9am ..... ON .... THE ..... DOT.  I don't think I need to explain the things that were going through my head (^&*%$# @$$#@!!!) because we've all been there at least once.
To say I booked it to class is such an understatement.  After throwing on the first clothing I saw, I packed my bag (which I cleverly did NOT pack the night before), my contacts from the bathroom, shoved on my glasses, and went for the door.  The second before I grabbed the handle, I remembered that I hadn't put on deodorant .... oh man, that would have been terrible for reasons I am about to disclose.
Once down the stairs and onto the sidewalk, my sneakers started chewing up the pavement like nobody's business.  The other sane people on the sidewalk must have looked at my like "who is this mad person tearing down the street?"  Obviously someone who woke up when her class was supposed to start.  By the time I got to class, it was 9:15.  Somehow, some way, I went from flat on my back to sitting in a 3rd floor classroom in 15 minutes!  Here's to adrenaline and sympathetic signalling!
When I caught my breath and saw the words "Women of WWI" written on the board, all I could think was "oh man, I didn't even have to be on time today .... this is my research paper topic!"

I took zero notes that morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment