Monday, November 25, 2013

The Designs of Meaningful Occupation

Dear Readers,

More than anything, the one experience I wanted out of college was study abroad.  Obviously I made that happen, but because of the rigidity of BU's Occupational Therapy program, I had to work ahead in order to clear out a semester.  By doing so, I could go abroad anywhere and study any subject.  Of course, my love of writing and history landed me in this research-intensive program (and let me tell you, I love it!).  Essentially, this semester is my school away from school: no sciences this semester (though I do miss them) nor any obscure humanities.

In the midst of all this history and culture (both of which Britain has a great wealth), I didn't realize how much I really do see the world through OT lenses.  Today my architecture class went to the Design Museum, located on the south bank side of Tower Bridge.  Its collection is quite unique and does a nice job illustrating the evolution of certain items, especially chairs and fashion.

Fun fact: did you know that Isaac Singer built the first Singer sewing machine in Boston in 1851 for Prince Albert's Great Exhibition in London?!  Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool, too!

In addition to the interesting exhibitions at the Design Museum, the gift shop there has some incredible items.  Lots of books about fashion, bicycle designs, interior designs, and some household gadgets.  But, the item that caught my eye just might have been the smallest one there:  a paintbrush that fits onto your finger like a finger puppet would!  My first reaction, which I did voice aloud, was, "oh my gosh, these would be perfect for someone who has difficulty holding a regular paintbrush.  In fact, you could also fashion this to be a pen or pencil!"  My professor looked at me and said that she was so impressed by this initial reaction to what was marketed as a tool for a children's activity.  And, as luck would have it, a man standing nearby remarked that he was a PT and has always been impressed by OTs' ability to adapt seemingly regular objects into tools for meaningful occupations.

I bought two of these finger brushes to remind myself that I really have found my passion ... and to help me brush crumbs from between the keys on my keyboard!

And, now, I'm off to continue writing my five-thousand-word research paper on the origins of abolition (of the slave trade) in Britain.  If you're interested to hear more, comment below.  Thanks for reading!

Sincerely,

D

No comments:

Post a Comment